PABX No: 7224
Personal web page
Md. Azijul Islam
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Specialization: Geotechnical Engineering
Mr. Md Azijul Islam is a Ph.D. candidate in University of Texas at Arlington. He completed his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). He served as a lecturer and later as an assistant professor at the Department of Civil Engineering, BUET from 2015 to 2018.
Mr. Islam has more than 5 (five) years of professional, teaching and research experience in geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering. His research interests lie mainly in ground improvement, foundation engineering, pavement materials, slope stability analysis and landslide prevention, and disaster management. He has published extensively in these fields and he serves as a reviewer in international journals. He wants to establish himself as a renowned researcher in the field of Geotechnical Engineering. Apart from academic and research works, Mr. Islam loves to play FIFA games.
- Ph.D. in Civil and Geotechnical Engineering (ongoing), The University of Texas at Arlington.
- MSc in Civil and Geotechnical Engineering, BUET, 2015-2018.
- BSc in Civil Engineering, BUET, 2010-2015.
- Geo-environmental engineering
- Slope stability
- Landslide prevention
- Ground Improvement
- Disaster management
- Foundation engineering
- Pavement materials
- Outstanding Civil Engineering Ph.D. Student: in recognition of academic excellence in Civil Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Texas at Arlington (2018-2019).
- Best paper award: in 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering Summit, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2016).
- Outstanding Paper award: in 14th Global Engineering and Technology Conference, BIAM Foundation, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2017).
- Best Paper award: in 14th Global Engineering and Technology Conference, BIAM Foundation, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2017).
- Dean’s Scholarship: in every academic session of undergraduate study for obtaining a CGPA higher than 3.75 (2010-2015)
- University Merit Scholarship: in every academic semester of undergraduate study for excellent results in each term (2010-2015).
- F. R. Khan Scholarship: in Level-3 of undergraduate study for obtaining highest GPA (2014).
- Technical Scholarship: in every semester of undergraduate study
Professional Work at National and International Levels
- Utilization of Recycled Plastic Pins for (a) Improving the Bearing Capacity of Foundation Soil and (b) Increasing Shearing Resistance of Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Wall Base (Funded by Texas Department of Transportation)
- Performance of Recycled Plastic Pins for Improving Bearing Capacity of the Embankment Soft Foundation Soil (Funded by Texas Department of Transportation)
- Routinely involved in laboratory testingand site visits through the Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation (BRTC), BUET since 2016. Testing services include different routine and conventional laboratory tests for soil, concrete, aggregates, bricks, tiles etc. Site visits include pile load test, pile integrity test, field density test, calibration of compressive strength testing machine, universal testing machine, electronic balance, hydraulic jack, and testing of concrete cores etc.
- Participated in consultancy services for assessing the accuracy of 17 tower foundation design proposed by Confidence Infrastructure for Bangladesh Police.
- Islam, T., Islam, M.A., Islam, M.S. and Nimni, N.F. (2020). “Identification of Inaccessible Roads and Vulnerable Settlements in Dhaka City Using ArcGIS Tools”. International Journal of Disaster Response and Emergency Management, Vol. 3(1), pp. 1-13.
- Chowdhury, M.E., Islam, M.A., Islam, T., Khan, N. (2018) “Evaluation of Shear Strength of Cohesionless Soil from Maximum, Minimum Dry Density and Fines Content using Polynomial Surface Fitting Method”. Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 23(1), pp. 31-56.
- Chowdhury, M.E., Islam, M.A., Islam, M.S., Shahriar, M.S., Alam, T. (2018). “Development and Calibration of a Portable Artificial Rainfall Simulator for Reproducible Experiments on Soil Erosion”. Global Science and Technology Journal, Vol. 6(2), pp. 47-63.
Peer Reviewed ASCE Geotechnical Special Publications (GSP) and TRB Proceedings
- Islam, M. A., Islam, M. S. and Elahi, T. E. (2020, February). “Effectiveness of Vetiver Grass on Stabilizing Hill Slopes: A Numerical Approach.” In Geo-Congress 2020: Engineering, Monitoring, and Management of Geotechnical Infrastructure (pp. 106-115). Reston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Ahmed, A., and Islam, M. A. (2020, February). “Effect of Using Geosynthetics in Mitigation of Freeze-Thaw through Numerical Analysis.” In Geo-Congress 2020: Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Special Topics(pp. 436-445). Reston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Ahmed, A. and Islam, M.A. (2020, January). “Effectiveness of Geosynthetics as Insulation to Freeze-Thaw: Field Instrumentation and Numerical Modeling” Proceedings, 99th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board
- Ahmed, A., and Islam, M. A. (2020, August). “Parametric Study on Ground Settlement of Sand and Clay Layer due to Horizontal Directional Drilling.” In UESI Pipelines 2020 Conference, San Antonio, Texas. Reston, VA: American Society of Civil Engineers.
Other Conference Proceedings
- Abha, A. T., Islam, M. A., Hoque, E., & Shikder, F. H. (2020). “Effect of variation of water level and geometry on the stability of the Padma riverbank slope for different soil properties,” Proceedings, 5th International Conference on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICCESD 2020), Khulna, Bangladesh.
- Elahi, T. E., Islam, M. A., & Islam, M. S. (2019). “Effect of vegetation and nailing for prevention of landslides in Rangamati,” Proceedings, International Conference on Disaster Risk Management (ICDRM-2019), Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Elahi, T. E., Islam, M. A., & Islam, M. S. (2018). “Stability analysis of selected hill slopes of Rangamati,” Proceedings, 4th International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering (ICACE-2018), Chattogram, Bangladesh.
- Islam, M.S. and Islam, M.A. (2018). “Reduction of landslide risk and water-logging using vegetation”, International Conference on Civil and Environmental Engineering (ICCEE) 2018, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Vol. 65, 06003.
- Islam, T., Islam, M. A., Islam, M. S., Abedin, M. Z. (2017). “Effect of Fine Content on Shear Strength Behavior of Sandy Soil”. Proceedings, 14th Global Engineering and Technology Conference, BIAM Foundation, 63 Eskaton, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Chowdhury, M. E., Islam, M. A., Islam, M. S. (2017). Shahriar, M. S., Alam, T., “Design, Operation and Performance Evaluation of a Portable Perforated Steel Tray Rainfall Simulator”, Proceedings, 14th Global Engineering and Technology Conference, BIAM Foundation, 63 Eskaton, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Islam, M. A., Islam, M. S., Islam, T. (2017). “Landslides in Chittagong Hill Tracts and Possible Measures”. Proceedings, International Conference on Disaster Risk Mitigation, Dhaka, Bangladesh, September 23 – 24.
- Islam, M.S., Sarker, L., Islam, M.A., Islam, M.A., Karim, R. (2016). “Consideration of soil properties for stability analyses of Padma and Jamuna river bank”. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering, CUET, Chittagong, Bangladesh, 21-23 December.
- Islam, M. A., Abedin, M. Z., Shahriar, A.R. (2016). “Bottom plugging effect of open-ended displacement pipe pile in loose sandy soil”. Proceedings of BUET-ANWAR ISPAT 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering SUMMIT, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2016.
- Shahriar, A. R., Abedin, M. Z., Islam, M.A. (2016). “Factors affecting thixotropic hardening of Bangladesh clays”. Proceedings of BUET-ANWAR ISPAT 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering SUMMIT, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Hossen, B., Islam, M.A., Jadid, R. (2015). “Effect of Specimen Size on compressive Strength of Concrete” First International Conference on Advances in Civil Infrastructure and Construction Materials, MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 14-15 December.