Dr. Mohammad Shariful Islam
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Specialization: Geotechnical Engineering
Research and Expertise: Dr. Mohammad Shariful Islam is currently working as a Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering, BUET. Dr. Islam obtained his PhD in Earthquake Engineering from Saitama University, Japan in 2002. He also pursued JSPS postdoctoral research at Saitama University, Japan during 2005-2007. His research specialization focuses on various state-of-the-art topics, including bioengineering, climate resilient infrastructure, disaster resilient rural housing, land reclamation, constitutive modeling of soils, earthquake resistant foundation and liquefaction. He has made significant contributions in the field of Vetiver based Bioengineering and Green Bricks.
He has developed nature-based, climate resilient and cost-effective methods for slope protection based on his long-term research outcomes and field trials. These have been implemented in different projects of Bangladesh by Government Agencies (LGED, RHD, ECB, CCC, BWDB), NGOs/INGOs (ADB, IFAD-UN, IOM, UNDP), and other private entities for the protection of road slope, canal bank, flood embankment, char land (small river island), village island, killa (raised land), hill slope and earth wall. Local people have already taken entrepreneurial steps by establishing Vetiver nurseries. Dr. Islam has been voluntarily lending his expertise to many individuals, government and non-government organizations for Vetiver application since 2009. He is also conducting various research activities on Vetiver with international collaborations. To add to the notable contributions, he has co-authored the Design Manual ‘Disaster Resilient Affordable House Design for Different Geographic Regions of Bangladesh’ published by Department of Civil Engineering, BUET and ‘Disaster Resilient Low Cost Houses: Capitalization of Methods, Activities and Results’ published by CRAterre, France. The manual contains 35 designs of affordable disaster resilient rural houses for 8 different geographic regions of Bangladesh which are useful for individuals, relevant Departments of Government and NGOs. In developing the design guidelines, social and cultural issues of the locality were considered. Inputs from the community people were taken at every step of the design and construction. He has also developed/evolved the process of production of CSEB using dredged sand from riverbed and local waste materials which is a Green Building Material. He has also actively contributed in developing Jute Geotextile for civil engineering applications such as road construction, river bank protection and hill slope stabilization. His research has been covered by many local & international print and electronic media.
Dr. Islam has published more than 130 research articles in reputed journals, conferences and seminars. He has made more than 25 keynote/invited lectures at home and abroad. He has also supervised/examined 50 local and international postgraduate researches. Notably, Dr. Islam has received 22 awards in recognition of his excellence in academic achievements, teaching and researches to date. These include Dr. Rashid Gold Medal, Sharfuddin Gold Medal, Dean’s Award, Monbusho Scholarship (Japan), University Merit Scholarships for academic excellence. Out of these, he received 13 awards for research excellence which includes The King of Thailand Vetiver Awards 2015, The Vetiver Network International Award 2015 and Best Paper Award from Springer Nature. Dr. Islam is dynamically contributing in national development working as a Member, Panel of Expert or Consultants in different important projects of the country. He is also conducting collaborative research with many universities, industries and organizations of home and abroad.
- Ph.D. (Earthquake Engineering), Saitama University, Japan, 2002
- M.Sc. (Civil & Geotechnical), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh, 1999
- B.Sc. (Civil Engineering), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET), Bangladesh, 1997
- Bio-engineering, Constitutive Modeling of Soils, Earthquake Engineering, Green Bricks/CSEB, Jute Geotextiles, Ground Improvement, Land Reclamation, Rural Housing, Sanitary Landfill
- Best Paper Award for the paper titled “Suitability of agro-industrial wastes and soil in manufacturing strong and durable earthen block: A review”, issued by the Civil Engineering Division, Institute of Engineers, Bangladesh in the 5th Annual Paper Meet and 2nd Civil Engineering Congress, held on July 29-30 2022
- Research Excellence Awards 2020 awarded by FORUM 86 in recognition of outstanding research outcome-Development of Nature-based Slope Protection Techniques and Disaster Resilient Affordable Rural Housing.
- Research Recognized as Editor’s Choice by the International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, February 2020
- Best Paper Award at the 2nd Conference of the Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2CAJG), Tunisia, November 2019
- Certificate of Appreciation from the Springer Nature for outstanding performance as a Member of Scientific Committee of the 2nd Conference of the Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2CAJG), Tunisia, November 2019
- Best Paper Award at the International Conference on Disaster and Risk Management (ICDRM 2019), Bangladesh, January 2019
- Best Presenter Award at the International Conference on Civil and Environmental Engineering (ICCEE 2018), Malaysia, October 2018
- Best Paper Award at the 14th Global Engineering and Technology Conference, organized by Global Research Institute of Science and Technology, Australia, held in Bangladesh, December 2017
- The King of Thailand Vetiver Awards 2015 from The Chaipattana Foundation, presented by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on behalf of His Majesty the King of Thailand, May 2015
- The Vetiver Network International Award 2015 from The Vetiver Network International, May 2015
- Certificate of Excellence at the 6th International Conference on Vetiver (ICV-6), Vietnam, May 2015
- Best Paper Award at the Engineering Goes Green: 7th CUTSE 2012 Conference, Malaysia, November 2012
- 1st Prize Award at the International Conference on Environmental Technology & Construction Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICETCESD-2011), Bangladesh, March 2011
- Certificate of Appreciation at the 6th Asian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference, India, December 2008
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan, November 2005-November 2007
- Best Paper Award at the 5th Asian Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference (5th AYGEC 2004), Taiwan, June 2004
- ADPC Fellowship for attending Fourth Regional Training Course on Earthquake Vulnerability Reduction for Cities (EVRC-4), 29 November-3 December, 2004, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Excellent Presentation Award at the 56th Annual Conference of the Japan Society of Civil Engineers (JSCE), Japan, October 2001
- Monbusho Scholarship of the Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of the Government of Japan for undertaking Doctoral research at the Saitama University, Japan during October 1999 to September 2002
- Jadur Ghash (Magical Grass)- Prothom Alo
- Environment-friendly Infrastructure-Anando-Alo
- Ranga Shokal-Prof Mohammad Shariful Islam-Maasranga TV
- Vetiver Based Bioengineering for Sustainable Infrastructure-Bandhan Magazine
- Binna Ghashe Banglar Joy-Kaler Kantha
- Roots of Vetiver-Dainik Azadi
- Binna Ghash Story- Suprobhat Bangladesh
- CCC to use vetiver grass to ease waterlogging, slope erosion- Dhaka Tribune
Professional Work at National and International Levels
- Protecting and Investing in Natural Capital in Asia and the Pacific: Developing Bioengineering Capacity for the Local Government Engineering Department’s Operations in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh
- Funding Agency: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Period: December 2021-May 2022
- Application of Vetiver-based Bioengineered Slope Protection in the Local Government Initiative on Climate Change (LoGIC) Project
- Funding Agency: UN Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)
- Period: November 2021-May 2022
- Sustainable Solution for Operation and Maintenance (O&M) of Multi-Purpose Disaster Shelter (MPDS)
- Funding Agency: Catholic Relief Services (CRS), USA and Caritas Bangladesh
- Period: April 2021-September 2021
- Bio-engineered Slope Protection and Improvement of Soil Bearing Capacity Using Catalyst for Road Construction and Maintenance in Cambodia (TA-9631-Southeast Asia Transport Project Preparatory Facility, RNIP-2, Cambodia)
- Funding Agency: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Period: May 2020-September 2020
Soil Bioengineering for Infrastructure Development in Cambodia: A Study on Vetiver Grass and Liquid Soil Catalysts for Road Projects
- Performance of Village Protection, Model Village, Upazilla/Union Road Slope Protection
- Funding Agency: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD-UN)
- Period: June 2018-April 2020
- Seismic Risk Mitigation through Retrofitting of Civil Infrastructure in Bangladesh (CP 2093)
- Funding Agency: HEQEP, University Grants Commission, Bangladesh
- Period: May 2017-September 2018
- Eco-Slope Protection and Intervention at North-West Flood Prone Region
- Funding Agency: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Period: November 2016-July 2017
- Investigation of Climate Resilient Slope Protection of Embankments
- Funding Agency: International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD-UN)
- Period: July 2014-June 2017
- Development of Post-Graduate Research and Degree Programs in Disaster Risk Reduction at New Institute on Disaster Prevention and Urban Safety (CP No. 3140)
- Funding Agency: HEQEP, University Grants Commission, Bangladesh
- Period: July 2014-December 2016
- Development of Affordable House Design and Construction in Different Geographic Regions of Bangladesh
- Funding Agency: CARITAS, France and CARITAS, Luxemburg
- Period: October 2009-September 2010, October 2011-March 2015, July 2016-December 2017
- Development and Application of Potentially Important Jute Geo-textiles (CFC/IJSG/21)
- Funding Agency: Common Fund for Commodities (CFC), The Netherlands
- Period: January 2010-June 2016
- Earthquake Resistant Reinforcement for Adobe Structure (Research Grant Nos. 21560497 & 17005291)
- Funding Agency: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), Japan
- Period: November 2005-November 2007 & November 2009-November 2011
As a Consulting Geotechnical Engineer, Member of Expert Committee and Advisor, Dr. Islam has been involved in design & vetting, material modelling, material testing, in-situ tests, site investigations, quality control, health monitoring and forensic/post failure investigation since 2002. He has been involved in various geotechnical and geo-environmental projects such as (i) flyover, (ii) elevated expressway, (iii) bridge, (iv) shallow and deep foundations of light and heavy super-structures, (v) retaining wall, (vi) bio-engineering for slope protection, (vii) design of embankment, (viii) land reclamation, (ix) ground improvement problems, (x) earthquake prevention measures, (xi) community based design of disaster resilient rural housing, (xii) health monitoring, retrofitting of buildings/structures and (xiii) cricket stadium etc. Some of the Major Projects are:
- Bangladesh Navy Submarine Base (BNS Sheikh Hasina) Project (January 2020-date)
- Patenga Container Terminal, Chattogram (2019)
- Padma Bridge Rail Link Project (PBRLP), Bangladesh Railway (2018-date)
- Dhaka Elevated Expressway PPP Project (2018-date)
- Construction of U-Loop at Paduar Bazar Cumilla at the Junction Point Dhaka-Chittagong Highway (N1) and Cumilla-Chandpur Regional Highway (R-140) to Facilitate Smooth Traffic Flow (2019-date)
- Purbachal Link Road and Purbachal Expressway Project (2017-2018)
- Ground Development Work of Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Dhaka (2017)
- Construction of Parallel Taxi Way of Shah Amanat International Airport at Chattogram (2017-date)
- Geotechnical Investigation, Soil Treatment and Reconstruction of Embankment by Earth Work Including Turfing for Faridpur-Bhanga Section of Bangladesh Railway (2016-2017)
- Development of Cox’s Bazar Airport (Phase-I and Phase-II) (2016-date)
- Road Design and Pavement Standards of Local Government Engineering Department, LGED (2015-2016)
- Bangladesh-Myanmar Friendship Road: (Balukhali-Ghundum) National Highway (2015-2016)
- Construction of a Turning Pad at Runway End-14 of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport (HSIA), Dhaka (2014)
- Design of Ground Improvement Scheme proposed by China Railway Group Ltd. for the Construction of Double Line Track from Tongi to Bhairab Bazar Including Signalling on Dhaka-Chittagong Main Line (2012-2013)
- Assessment of Structural Integrity of Different Existing RMG Factory Buildings in Bangladesh, Under International Labour Organization, ILO (2013-2014)
- Detailed Design and Study for the Construction of Proposed Karnaphuli Container Terminal, KCT (2012-2014)
- Pre-feasibility Study of Dhaka-Ashulia Elevated Expressway Project, DAEEP (2011-2012)
- Construction of Back-up Facilities Behind Berth No. 4 & 5 of New Mooring Container Terminal, NCT (2009-2011)
- Reviewing the Structural and Foundation Design of Proposed Jetties (Breasting Dolphins, Mooring Dolphin, Platform) to be Constructed at RM-5 & RM-6 for Eastern Refineries (2003)
- Design Checking of 75m River Crossing Tower under Cumilla PBS-1
- Islam, T.E. and Islam, M.S. (2022). Submergence and wave action resilience of vetiver grass protected fly ash amended soil slopes, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10706-022-02102-z
- Paul, S., Islam, M.S. and Elahi, T.E. (2022). Comparative effectiveness of fibers in enhancing engineering properties of Earth as a building Material: A review, Construction and Building Materials, 332(52): 127366, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2022.127366
- Aziz, S. and Islam, M.S. (2022). “Mechanical effect of vetiver grass root for stabilization of natural and terraced hill slope”, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10706-022-02092-y.
- Alam, K., Islam, N., Abedin, Z., Islam, M.S., Dey, R. and Valsangakar, A.J. (2022). “Prediction of compressibility and shear strength behaviour of in-situ cohesive soil from reconstituted clay”, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/19386362.2022.2049048.
Islam, M.A., Islam, M.S. and Jeet, A.A. (2021). “A geotechnical investigation of 2017 Chattogram landslides”, Geosciences 2021, 11, 337, doi.org/10.3390/geosciences 11080337.
- Hoque, I.L., Islam, M.S. and Hoque, E. (2021). “Effect of vetiver root on triaxial shear strength of a cohesionless soil”, Geomechanics and Geoengineering, doi: 10.1080/17486025.2021.1903089.
- Elahi, T.E., Shahriar, A.R. and Islam, M.S. (2021). “Engineering characteristics of compressed earth blocks stabilized with cement and fly ash”, Construction and Building Materials, 277, 122367, doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2021.122367.
Badhon, F.F., Islam, M.S. and Islam, M.A. (2021). “Contribution of vetiver root on the improvement of slope stability”, Indian Geotechnical Journal, doi.org/10.1007/s40098-021-00557-0.
- Islam, M.A., Islam, M.S., Chowdhury, M.E., Badhon, F.F. (2021). “Influence of vetiver grass (Chrysopogon zizanioides) on infiltration and erosion control of hill slopes under simulated extreme rainfall condition in Bangladesh”, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, Vol. 14: 119, doi: 10.1007/s12517-020-06338-y.
- Islam, M.S., Islam, T. and Khatun, N. (2021). “Permeability alteration of low plastic clay and poorly graded sand”, Indian Geotechnical Journal, doi.org/10.1007/s40098-020-00493-5.
- Badhon, F.F., Islam, M.S., Islam, M.A. and Arif, M.Z.U. (2021). “A simple approach for estimating contribution of vetiver roots in shear strength of a soil-root system”, Innovative Infrastructure Solutions, Vol. 6(96), doi: 10.1007/s41062-021-00469-1.
- Islam, M.S., Elahi, T, Shahriar, A.R. and Mumtaz, N. (2020). “Effectiveness of fly ash and cement for compressed stabilized earth block construction”, Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 25C:119392, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.119392.
- Islam, M.S., Elahi, T., Shahriar, A.R. Nahar, K., and Hossain, T.R. (2020). ‘Strength and durability characteristics of cement-sand stabilized earth blocks’, Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 22, No. 5, 04020087-1-04020087-15 https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0003176.
Alam, M.K., Shahriar, A.R., Islam, M.S., Islam, N. and Abedin, M.Z. (2020). “Experimental investigation on the strength and deformation aspects of thixotropic aging in reconstituted clays”, Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10706-020-01639-1.
- Elahi, T., Shahriar, A.R., Islam, M.S., Mehzabin, F. and Mumtaz, N. (2020). “Suitability of fly ash and cement for fabrication of compressed stabilized earth blocks”, Construction and Building Materials, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120935.
- Shahriar, A.R., Islam, M.S. and Jadid, R. (2020). ‘The ultimate pullout capacity of vertical anchors in frictional soils’, International Journal of Geomechanics, ASCE, Vol. 2, Issue 2, 04019153-1-19, DOI: 10.1061/ (ASCE) GM.1943-5622.0001576.
- Chowdhury, M.E., Islam, M.S., Alam, T., Barua, S., Shahriar, M.S., Anisa, H. (2020). “Infiltration in vegetated soil: empirical modeling and sensitivity analysis”, Modelling Earth Systems and Environment, DOI 10.1007/s40808-020-00867-x.
- Chowdhury, M.E., Islam, M.A., Islam, M.S., Shahriar, M.S and Alam, T. (2018). ‘Development and calibration of a portable artificial rainfall simulator for reproducible experiments on soil erosion’, Global Science and Technology Journal, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 47-63.
- Siddiquee, M.S.A., Islam, M.S., Tatsuoka, F. and Islam, M.K. (2018). ‘An anisotropic model for granular material based on experiments’, Geotech Geol Eng, Vol. 36, pp. 1447-1462. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-017-0400-z.
- Azam, F., Islam, M.S. and Shahin, H.M. (2016). ‘Study on tunneling for underground metro rail system in Dhaka city’, Int. J. of GEOMATE, Geotech., Const., Mat., Env., Japan, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 1776-1783.
- Ahmed, S.S., Hossain, N., Khan, A.J. and Islam, M.S. (2016). ‘Prediction of soaked CBR from index properties and unsoaked CBR of lean clay’, Malaysian Journal of Civil Engineering, Vol. 28, No. 2, pp. 270-283.
- Choudhury, M.R., Islam, M.S., Ahmed, Z. and Parshi, F.N. (2016). ‘Phytoremediation of heavy metal contaminated Buriganga riverbed sediments using Indian Mustard and Marigold plants’, Journal of Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChe). https://doi.org/1002/ep.12213, Vol. 35, No.1, pp. 117-124.
- Islam, M.S., Hossain, M.S., Banik, S., Azam, F. (2014). ‘Elasto-plastic constitutive model parameters and their application to bearing capacity estimation for Dhaka sub-soil’, Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, Vol. CE 42, No. 2, pp. 171-188.
- Khan, A.J., Islam, M.S., Saiful, S.S. (2014). ‘Laboratory assessment of soil-jute geotextile interaction behaviour’, Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering (EJGE), Vol. 19, pp. 3949-3962.
- Moles, O. Caimi, A., Islam, M.S., Hossain, T.R. and Podder, R.K. (2014). ‘From local building practices to vulnerability reduction: building resilience through existing resources, knowledge and know-how’, Procedia Economics and Finance, Vol. 18, pp. 932-939, Elsevier. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671 (14)01020-X).hal-01159948 (www.sciencedirect.com).
- Islam, M.S., Nasrin, M. and Khan, A.J. (2013). ‘Foundation alternatives in dredge fill soils overlying organic clay’, Journal of Lowland Technology International, International Association of Lowland Technology (IALT), Japan, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 1-14.
- Islam, M.S., Shariar, B.A.M. and Hossain, M.S. (2013). ‘Study on growth of vetiver grass in tropical region for slope protection’, Int. J. of GEOMATE, Geotech., Const., Mat., Env., Japan, Vol. 5, No. 2, Sl. No. 10. pp.729-734.
- Islam, M.S., Arifuzzaman, Hossain, M.S. and Nasrin, S. (2013). ‘Effectiveness of vetiver root in embankment slope protection: Bangladesh perspective’, International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, April 2013 Issue, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 136-148.
- Siddiquee, M.S.A., Islam, M.S., and Tatsuoka, F. (2013). ‘Development of a nonlinear model for soft rock and its applications’, Geotech Geol Eng, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp.627-645. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-013-9613-y.
- Islam, M.K., Cartar, J.P., Siddiquee, M.S.A. and Islam, M.S. (2013). ‘A method for derivation of consolidation equation and value of degradation exponent for structured soils’, Geotech Geol Eng, Vol. 1, No. 5, pp. 1587-1601. https://doi.org/10.1007/S10706-013-9683-X.
- Islam, M.S., Nasrin, S., Islam, M.S., and Moury, F.R. (2013). ‘Use of vegetation and geo-jute in erosion control of slopes in a sub-tropical climate’, Journal of World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (WASET), Vol. 73, pp. 31-39. http://www.waset.org/journals/waset/v73/v73-211.pdf.
- Islam, M.S. and Hossain, M.S. (2013). ‘Reinforcing effect of vetiver (vetiveria zizanioides) root in geotechnical structures- experiments and analyses’, Journal of Geomechanics and Engineering: An International Journal, Techno Press, Vol. 5, No.4, pp. 313-329.
- Ahmed, M., Islam, M.S. and Ahsan, R. (2012). ‘Dynamic stiffness of laterally loaded pile foundation in Dhaka soil’, Electronic Journal of Geotechnical Engineering (EJGE), November 2012, Vol. 17, pp. 2375-2397.
- Islam, M.S. and Hoque, E. (2011). ‘Strength anisotropy in undisturbed Dhaka clay’, Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, a Journal of Bangladesh Society for Geotechnical Engineering, Bangladesh, Vol. 1. No.1, pp.7-15.
- Islam, M.S. and Iwashita, K. (2010). ‘Earthquake resistance of adobe reinforced by low cost traditional materials’, Journal of Natural Disaster Science, Japan, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 1-21.
- Islam, M.S., Hossain, M.T., Ameen, S.F., Hoque, E. and Ahamed, S. (2010). ‘Earthquake induced liquefaction vulnerability of reclaimed areas of Dhaka’, Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, Vol. 38, No. 1, pp.65-80.
- Islam, M.S. and Badhan, F.F. (2020). ‘A mathematical model for shear strength prediction of rooted soil’, Geo-Congress 2020 (GSP 316), Minnesota, USA, February 25-28, 2020, pp. 96-105.
- Islam, M.A., Elahi, T.E. and Islam, M.S. (2020). ‘Effectiveness of vetiver grass on stabilizing hill slopes’, Geo-Congress 2020 (GSP 316), Minnesota, USA, February 25-28, 2020, pp. 106-115.
- Islam, M.S., Latif, M.B. and Islam, T. (2019). ‘Bioengineering technique for protecting submersible roads in haor districts of Bangladesh’, Proc. 2nd Conference of the Arabian Journal of Geosciences (2CAJG), Springer Nature, November 25-28, 2019, Sousse, Tunisia (in press).
- Islam, M.S. (2019). ‘River bank and char land protection using vetiver system: case studies in Bangladesh’, Delta Plan and Sustainable Development, Organised by BAPA and BEN, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- Islam, M.S., Islam, J. and Mumtaz, M. (2019). ‘Construction of disaster resilient rural houses using CSEB made with river bed sand’, Proc. of International Conference on Disaster Risk Management (ICDRM 2019), January 12-14, 2019, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 198-201.
- Hossain, S., Islam, M.S. and Khan, A.J. (2019). ‘Effectiveness of open mesh jute geo-textile (JGT) in erosion control of slopes’, Proc. of International Conference on Disaster Risk Management (ICDRM 2019), January 12-14, 2019, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 163-167.
- Badhon, F.F., Islam, M.S. and Al-Hussaini, T.M. (2019). ‘Study of root-reinforcement effect on shear strength parameters of soil obtained by direct shear tests’, Proc. of International Conference on Disaster Risk Management (ICDRM 2019), January 12-14, 2019, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 179-182.
- Mallick, J.R. and Islam, M.S. (2019). ‘Effect of salinity on the compressibility and permeability characteristics of a coastal soil from Bangladesh’, Proc. of International Conference on Disaster Risk Management (ICDRM 2019), January 12-14, 2019, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 202-205.
- Islam, M.S. and Islam, M.A. (2018). ‘Reduction of landslide and water-logging vegetation’, International Conference on Civil and Environmental Engineering (ICCEE 2018), October 2-5, 2018, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Vol. 65, Art. No. 06003, https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/20186506003.
- Ashraf, M. and Islam, M.S. (2018). ‘Experimental studies on the characteristic beheavour of dispersive soil and stabilization with fly ash’, Proc. of 4th International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering 2018 (ICACE 2018), December 19-21, 2018, Chattogram, Bangladesh, pp. 325-330 .
- Islam, M.S., Shams, M.S. and Sultana, F. (2018). ‘Soil waste remediation using vetiver grass’, Proc. of 4th International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering 2018 (ICACE 2018), December 19-21, 2018, Chattogram, Bangladesh, pp. 349-354.
- Islam, M.S., Hoque, M.S., Mallick, S., Parshi, F.N. and Rahman, A.K.M.L. (2016). ‘Climate resilient slope protection for coastal regions of Bangladesh using bio-engineering techniques’, 3rd International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering 2016 (ICACE 2016), December 21–23, 2016, CUET, Chattogram, Bangladesh, pp.221-226.
- Islam, M.S. (2015). ‘Application of vetiver (Vetiveria zizanioides) as a bio-technical slope protection measure–some success stories in Bangladesh’, 6th International Conference on Vetiver (ICV6), May 5-8, 2015, Danang, Vietnam.
- Islam, M.S., Shahriar, B.A.M. and Parshi, F.N. (2014). ‘Bio-technical solution for dyke protection in saline zone of Bangladesh’, Proceedings of the 2014 World Congress on Advances in Civil, Environmental and Materials Research (ACEM’14), August 24-28, 2014, South Korea, Paper ID: ES302-727, 16 pages.
- Islam, M.S. and Yasin, S.J.M. (2013). ‘Improvement of a clay deposit using prefabricated vertical drains and preloading-a case study’, 18th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, September 2-5, 2013, Paris, France, Paper No. 2920, pp. 2501-2504.
- Moles, O., Islam, M.S., Hossain, T.R. and Podder, R.K. (2013). ‘Improvement of vernacular housing for disaster prone areas in Bangladesh: a six year experience’, Proceedings of Vernacular Heritage and Earthen Architecture: contributions for sustainable development, Correia, Carlos & Rocha (Eds), CRC Press, October 16-20, 2013, Portugal, Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 978-1-138-00083-4, pp. 683-688.
- Islam, M.S. and Arifuzzaman (2010). ‘Performance of vetiver grass in protecting embankments on the Bangladesh coast against cyclonic tidal surge’, 5th National Conference on Coastal and Estuarine Habitat Restoration, November 13-17, 2010, USA.
- Islam, M.S. (2010). ‘Present status and problems of earthen architecture in Bangladesh: role of education’, Proceedings of the Seminar TERRAEducation 2010, May 24-29, 2010, France, pp. 176–184.
- Islam, M.S. and Iwashita, K. (2009). ‘Performance investigation of fibre-earth composite as a building material’, Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Composite Science and Technology (ICCST/7), American University of Sharjah, UAE, January 20-22, 2009, Paper No. 12200, 6 pages.
- Hoque, E., Islam, M.S. and Munshi, M.M.K. (2004). ‘Performance of preloading applied on a peaty clay deposit’, Proc. of GeoTrans 2004: Geotechnical Engineering for Transportation Projects (GSP 126) of ASCE, July 27-31, 2004, Los Angeles, California, USA, Vol. 154, No. 194, pp.1991-1999.
- Moles, O., Islam, M.S., Hossain, T.R. and Podder, K. (2020). Disaster Resilient Low cost Houses: Capitalization of Methods, Activities and Results, 2007-2018, CRAterre Editions, France
Invited Presentations (Selected)
- ‘Future Testing for the Development and Implementation of Seismic Retrofitting Guidelines and Codes for Earthen Construction and Conservation’, Getty Seismic Adobe Project 2006 Colloquium organized by Getty Conservation Institute (GCI) Los Angeles, California, USA, 2006.
- ‘Sustainable Low-cost Rural Housing and Infrastructure in the Disaster-prone Areas of Bangladesh’, International Collaborative Program (ICGP) on Civil and Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Saitama University, Saitama, Japan, 2010.
- ‘Development of Disaster Resistant Housing in Bangladesh Considering Social and Cultural Issues’, Seminar on Disaster Resistant Building Cultures: the Ways Forward, CRAterre, France, 2013.
- ‘Application of Bio-Engineering Techniques in Mitigation River Bank Erosion in Assam’, Assam Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA), Assam, India, 2016.
- ‘Potentials of Green Bricks/Alternative Energy Efficient Materials for Rural Housing in Bangladesh’, Conference on China-Bangladesh “Market Transformation of Energy Efficient Bricks and Rural Buildings”, Technology and Experience Sharing, organized by UNDP, Hangzhou, China, 2016.
- ‘The Brahmaputra in Assam’ National Stakeholder Workshop on the River Stabilization Plan for the Jamuna and Padma Rivers, organized by Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2017.
- ‘Study of the Shelter Performance of Caritas Bangladesh for the Displaced Citizens of Myanmar’, International Organization for Migration (IOM), Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, 2018.
- ‘Embankments on Soft Ground: Green and Durable Solutions’, Asian Development Bank (ADB), Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2018.
- ‘Review of Bio-engineering for Erosion Reduction/Slope Protection in Cox’s Bazar Refugee Camps’, Lessons Learnt Workshop on Bio-engineering, International Organization for Migration (IOM), Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, 2019.