PABX No: 7732
Room No: 534
Personal web page
Dr. Khan Mahmud Amanat
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Specialization: Structural Engineering
Dr. Khan Mahmud Amanat is working as a Professor of Department of Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET). He received BSc degree in civil engineering in 1991 from BUET and since then serving as a faculty member. He obtained his MSc in Structural Engineering in 1993 from BUET and PhD in 1997 from Nagoya University, Japan. He also received post-doctoral fellowships from DFID and The British Council as well as from the prestigious Association of Commonwealth Universities to do research in the UK and Canada. As an engineering academician, Dr. Amanat specializes in structural engineering and has been engaged in teaching, research and professional activities in this field for long 28 years.
- PhD in Concrete, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Japan, 1997.
- MSc in Civil Engineering (Structural), BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1993.
- BSc in Civil Engineering, BUET, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 1991.
- In his 28-year long career as an academician, Dr. Amanat published several research articles on concrete and steel in many international journals, some of which also received IEB best paper awards. He supervised several masters and PhD researches. Dr Amanat is very active in developing and modernizing the civil engineering curricula of BUET. He is currently doing research on topics such as self-centering rocking frame for seismic design of buildings, behavior of bolted flanged connection for pipes subjected to bending, in-plane load resistance characteristics of infill materials, behavior of multistoried framed buildings with open ground floor under seismic loading, dynamic behavior of the deck of box girder bridges, punching shear behavior of RC flat plate systems, repair and retrofitting of steel columns using CFRP laminates, comparative assessment of column strength based on cylinder and core strength, reliability of the assessment of engineering properties on the basis of different methods, behavior of engineered cementitious composites etc.
- Association of Commonwealth Universities Fellowship 2012 – Post doctoral fellowship for research in the University of British Columbia, Okanagan Campus, Canada.
- IEB Award for the Best Paper 2003, The Institution of Engineers Bangladesh.
- IEB Award for the Best Paper 2002, The Institution of Engineers Bangladesh
- IEB Award for the Best Paper 2001, The Institution of Engineers Bangladesh
- British Govt. (DFID and The British Council) Fellowship to conduct research in UK under a higher education link program between BUET and University of Exeter.
- Monbusho Scholarship from Japan Govt. to pursue PhD in Japan.
Professional Work at National and International Levels
Dr. Amanat served as an expert structural engineering consultant in many national projects throughout his career which include
- Updating Bangladesh National Building Code (BNBC), 2017
- Top Supervision of the Repair Works of the Cracks inside the Box Girder of Bangabandhu Bridge, 2016
- Structural Design of the Superstructure of Moghbazar-Mouchak Flyover Project, 2014
- Repair and Rehabilitation of The Meghna and The Meghna-Gumti Bridges on Dhaka-Chittagong National Highway, 2012
- Top Supervision of the Repair Works of the Cracks on the Deck Slab of Bangabandhu Bridge, 2012
- Investigation of Causes Cracks on the Deck Slab of Bangabandhu Bridge, 2006
- Consultancy Services For Checking the Design of 37-Storied City Centre of Dhaka City Corporation, 2004.
- 172km long Padma Bridge Rail Link Project
Dr. Amanat is also serving as a member of the Panel of Experts in many national projects such as
- Dhaka Elevated Expressway PPP Project
- Dhaka Subway
- Dhaka Ashulia Elevated Expressway Project
Only a few selected publications are listed here. Please visit Dr. Amanat’s personal website for a detailed list of publications.
- Quayyum, S, Nazmul, I.M., Iasmin, M.M., Amanat, K.M., “Effects of Randomly Distributed Infill on the Columns of Reinforced Concrete Frames with Soft Ground Storey,” International Journal of Structural Stability and Dynamics (IJSSD), Volume: 10, Issue: 3, pp. 555-569, DOI: 10.1142/S0219455410003610, Print ISSN: 0219-4554, Online ISSN: 1793-6764, 2010.
- Hossain, K.A., Amanat, K.M., “Effect of Span Length on the Dynamic Amplification Factor in the Deck of Concrete Box Girder Bridges,” Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh. Vol. CE 39 (1) pp. 59-75, 2011.
- Uddin, M.A., Jameel, M., Sobuz, H.R., Hasan, N.M.S., Islam, M.S., Amanat, K.M., “Effect of Curing Time on Compressive Strength of Composite Cement Concrete,” Applied Mechanics and Materials, Trans Tech Publications, Switzerland, Vols 204-208, pp 4105-4109, doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.204-208.4105, 2012
- Alam, A.K.M.J., Amanat, K.M., “Finite Element Simulation on Punching Shear Behavior of Reinforced Concrete Slabs,” ISRN Civil Engineering Journal, Article ID 501816, 9 pages, doi:10.5402/2012/501816, 2012.
- Tasmim, R. and Amanat, K.M., “A Rational Estimation of Earthquake Base Shear for Buildings with Soft Ground Floor,” Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh. Vol. CE 41, pp. 71-80, June 2013.
- Alam, A.K.M.J and Amanat, K. M, “FE Analysis on the Effect of Flexural Steel on Punching Shear of Slabs”, International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT), ISSN: 2278-0181, Vol. 2 Issue 6, Page 2878-2901, 2013
- Alam, A.K.M.J. and Amanat, K.M., “Effect of Reinforcement on Punching Shear of Multipanel Flat Slab,” Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh. Vol. CE 41, pp. 123-137, December 2013.
- Alam, A.K.M.J and Amanat, K. M., “Investigation on Punching Shear Behaviour of Multi-Panel Flat Slab”, International Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp 189-206. 2014.
- Devi, U. and Amanat, K.M., “Non-Linear Finite Element Investigation on the Behavior of CFRP Strengthened Steel Square HSS Columns under Compression,” International Journal of Steel Structures, Springer, ISSN: 1598-2351, Vol. 15, Issue 3, pp 671-680, September 2015.
- Bashar, I., Amanat, K.M., “Numerical Investigation of Ultimate Axial Capacity of Eccentrically Loaded Steel Angles,” Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh. Vol. CE 42 (2), pp.217-232, 2015.
- Devi, U. and Amanat, K.M., “Numerical Simulation of Steel HSS Columns Strengthened Using CFRP,” Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh. Vol. CE 42(2), pp.209-216, 2015.
- Tafheem, Z., Amanat, K.M., “Finite Element Investigation on the Behavior of Bolted Flanged Steel Pipe Joint Subject to Bending,” Journal of Civil Engineering, The Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh. Vol. CE 43 (1), pp.79-91, 2015.
- Zerin, A.I., Hosoda, A., Salem, H. and Amanat, K.M., “Seismic Performance Evaluation of Masonry Infilled Reinforced Concrete Buildings Utilizing Verified Masonry Properties in Applied Element Method,” Journal of Advance Concrete Technology, Japan Concrete Institute, Vol. 15, pp.227-243, 2017.
- Khan, M.T., Jahan, I. and Amanat, K.M., “Splitting Tensile Strength of Natural Aggregates, Recycled Aggregates and Brick Chips Concrete, Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers – Construction Materials, 2018, ISSN 1747-650X, E-ISSN 1747-6518, https://doi.org/10.1680/jcoma.18.00049.