PABX No: 7224
Personal web page
Azmayeen Rafat Shahriar
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Specialization: Geotechnical Engineering
Azmayeen Rafat Shahriar is currently serving as a Sloan Graduate Fellow in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering of North Carolina State University, USA. He completed MSc and BSc from the Department of Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology. Azmayeen does research in Geotechnical Engineering. His ambition is to become a well-known researcher in the field of Geotechnical Engineering. He also wants to pursue a dynamic career as a successful educationist. He is discharging his duty as a reviewer of International Journal of Geomechanics (ASCE), Applied Clay Science (Elsevier), Geotechnical and Geological Engineering (Springer). Apart from academic and research works, Azmayeen loves to play cricket. He is an ardent supporter of Argentina, Barcelona, Arsenal in Football, Bangladesh, Australia in Cricket, Roger Federer in Tennis, Sebastian Vettel in Formula1 and Valentino Rossi in MotoGP.
- MSc in Civil and Geotechnical Engineering, BUET, 2016-2018.
- BSc in Civil Engineering, BUET, 2011-2016.
Analytical modeling of anchored retaining wall, Soil reinforcement, Geotechnical behavior of soft clays, Sustainable housing, Transmission tower foundation, and Trenchless technology
- Sloan Graduate Fellowship Award: For study toward PhD in Civil Engineering at North Carolina State University
- Provost Doctoral Fellowship Award: For study toward PhD in Civil Engineering at North Carolina State University
- Graduate Merit Award: For outstanding academic background among the graduate students starting from Fall, 2018 at North Carolina State University
- M.A. Rashid Gold Medal: For achieving highest CGPA among all the graduates of the university in graduate study
- Prime Minister Gold Medal: For securing 1st position among the graduates of Civil Engineering in undergraduate study
- Dean’s Award: For outstanding academic performance in each academic year of undergraduate study
- BUET Academic Merit Scholarship: For outstanding academic performance in each term of undergraduate study
- F.R Khan Scholarship: For securing 1st position in 3rd level of undergraduate study
- Best Paper Award: BUET-ANWAR ISPAT 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering SUMMIT, CESA, 2016.
- Comilla Education Board Scholarship: For outstanding scholastic performance in HSC examination (Secured 5th position in merit list)
- Comilla Education Board Scholarship: For outstanding scholastic performance in SSC examination (Secured 21st position in merit list)
Professional Work at National and International Levels
Routinely involved in laboratory testing and site visits through the Bureau of Research, Testing and Consultation (BRTC), BUET since 2017. Testing services include different routine and conventional laboratory tests for soil, concrete, aggregates, bricks, tiles etc. Site visits include pile load test, field density test, calibration of compressive strength testing machine, universal testing machine, electronic balance, hydraulic jack, and testing of concrete cores etc.
- Participated in consultancy services for assessing the accuracy of 17 tower foundation design proposed by Confidence Infrastructure for Bangladesh Police.
Represented BUET as a student delegate as per the request of High Commission of India in Bangladesh. The visit was intended to exchange the cultural, historical, economic and social views between India and Bangladesh.
- R. Shahriar, M. Z. Abedin, and R. Jadid, “Thixotropic aging and its effect on 1-D compression behavior of soft reconstituted clays,” Applied Clay Science (Elsevier), 153, pp. 217-227, 2018. (DOI: 10.1016/j.clay.2017.12.029)
- R. Shahriar and R. Jadid, “An experimental investigation on the effect of thixotropic aging on primary and secondary compression of reconstituted dredged clays,” Applied Clay Science (Elsevier), 162, pp. 524-533, 2018. (DOI: 10.1016/j.clay.2018.05.023)
- Jadid, M. Z. Abedin, A. R. Shahriar and M.Z.U. Arif, “Analytical model for pullout capacity of a vertical concrete anchor block embedded at shallow depth in cohesionless soil,” ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics, 18(7), 06018017, 2018. (DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)GM.1943-5622.0001212)
- Jadid, A. R. Shahriar, M. R. Rahman, and T. Imtiaz, “Evaluation of theoretical models to predict the pullout capacity of a vertical anchor embedded in cohesionless soil,” Geotechnical and Geological Engineering, Springer, 2019 (DOI: 10.1007/s10706-019-00870-9)
- A. R. Shahriar, M. Z. Abedin, and M. A. Islam, “Factors affecting thixotropic hardening of Dhaka clays,” in BUET-ANWAR ISPAT 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering SUMMIT, CESA, 2016. (Best Paper)
- S. Islam, M. I. Hossain, M. A. Islam, A. R. Shahriar, and B. Bose, “Construction of earthen houses using CSEB: Bangladesh perspective,” in 3rd International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering, CUET, Bangladesh, 2016.
- A. Islam, M. Z. Abedin, and A. R. Shahriar, “Bottom plugging effect of open-ended displacement pipe pile in loose sandy soil,” in BUET-ANWAR ISPAT 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering SUMMIT, CESA, 2016.
- L. Hoque, A. R. Shahriar, M. I. Uddin, and E. Hoque, “Geotechnical importance and feasibility of the construction of large diameter and long gas pipeline under the river Padma,” in BUET-ANWAR ISPAT 1st Bangladesh Civil Engineering SUMMIT, CESA, 2016.
- R. Shahriar, “Effect of moisture content on the thixotropic strength recovery of Dhaka soil,” in 1st International Conference on Advances in Civil Infrastructure and Construction Materials, MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2015.