Personal web page
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Specialization: Geotechnical Engineering
Shantanu Paul is currently working as a lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering at Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). He completed his B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from the same institution. His research interests lie mainly in fiber-reinforced earth, the microbially induced calcite precipitation (MICP) process, the use of SCMs in stabilizing earthen blocks, etc. He is performing his responsibilities as a reviewer for Innovative Infrastructure Solutions (Springer Nature). In addition to his academic and research activities, Shantanu enjoys playing cricket. He is a loyal fan of South Africa and Bangladesh in cricket and Argentina in football.
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Geotechnical), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) (2022-Present)
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET) (2017-2022)
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), Notre Dame College, Dhaka (2016)
- Secondary School Certificate (SSC), Savar Cantonment Public School (2014)
- Application of Microbially Induced Calcite Precipitation Process for Stabilizing Problematic Soil
- Fiber Reinforced Earth
- Application of Supplementary Cementitious Materials in Earth and Earth-based Building Materials
- Stabilization of Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks
- Best Paper Award: For the paper titled “Suitability of agro-industrial wastes and soil in manufacturing strong and durable earthen block: A review”, issued by the Civil Engineering Division, Institute of Engineers, Bangladesh in the 5th Annual Paper Meet and 2nd Civil Engineering Congress, held on July 29-30 2022
- Dean’s Award: For outstanding academic performance in each academic year of undergraduate study
- BUET University Merit Scholarship: For outstanding academic performance in each term of undergraduate study
- Dhaka Education Board Scholarship: For outstanding scholastic performance in HSC examination
- Dhaka Education Board Scholarship: For outstanding scholastic performance in SSC examination
Professional Work at National and International Levels
- Reviewer, Journal of Innovative Infrastructure Solutions (ISSN: 2364-4184), Springer Nature (2022)
- Editorial Assistant and Reviewer, 5th Annual Paper Meet and 2nd Civil Engineering Congress, IEB (2022)
- Member, organizing committee, a seminar on the challenges faced during the construction of the Padma Multipurpose Bridge Project (August 4, 2022)
- Paul, S., Islam, M.S. and Elai, T.E. (2023). Potential of waste rice husk ash and cement in making compressed stabilized earth blocks: Strength, durability and life cycle assessment, Journal of Building Engineering, Vol. 73, No. 106727, DOI: 10.1016/j.jobe.2023.106727.
- Paul, S., Islam, M.S. and Elahi, T.E. (2022). Comparative effectiveness of fibers in enhancing engineering properties of Earth as a building Material: A review, Construction and Building Materials, 332(52): 127366, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2022.127366
- Islam, M.S., Paul, S. and Iqbal, S.M. (2023). Strength-ductility behavior of earthen block reinforced with vetiver shoot, Smart Geotechnics for Smart Societies – Zhussupbekov, Sarsembayeva & Kaliakin (Eds), 17th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering 2023 (17ARC), Astana, Kazakhstan, pp. 2444-2448, DOI: 10.1201/9781003299127-379.
- Bushra, T.N., Mim, M., Sikder, T. and Paul, S. (2023). Effectiveness of microbially induced calcite precipitation (MICP) treatment in the mitigation of seismic liquefaction: A review, Second International Conference on Advances in Civil Infrastructure and Construction Materials (CICM-2023), MIST, Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp. 1298-1305.
- Chakraborty, P., Dip, S.A., Paul, S. (2022). An aggrandized and sustainable scheme of sewerage system with layout model in Rajshahi (Ward No. 9), Bangladesh, 6th International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering (ICACE-2022), CUET, Chattogram, Bangladesh, pp. 37-44.
- Paul, S., Sakib, M.M.N., Elahi, T.E., & Islam, M.S. (2022). Suitability of agro-industrial wastes and soil in manufacturing strong and durable earthen block: A review, 5th Annual Paper Meet & 2nd Civil Engineering Congress, Civil Engineering Division, The Institution of Engineers (IEB), Bangladesh, pp. 147-152.