PABX No: 6731
Room No: 543
Personal web page
Dr. Tanvir Ahmed
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Specialization: Environmental Engineering
Dr. Tanvir Ahmed received his Bachelors and Masters degree in Civil Engineering from BUET in 2003 and 2005, respectively and PhD from Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA in 2011. He has been a faculty of BUET since 2003 and currently working as an Associate Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering. His research interest broadly encompasses environmental modeling and health risk assessment of environmental contaminants and authored several papers in distinguished journals and conferences. He is involved in several national and international projects as a consultant and EIA specialist. Dr. Ahmed received a number of awards in recognition for his excellence in academic achievements and teaching. These include The Prime Minister’s Gold Medal in 1994 for securing the 1st merit position in the national SSC exam, Malik Akram Hossain Gold Medal in 2003 and Dean’s award for academic excellence as a civil engineering student. He received the Schoettler Fellowship and Martin Fellowship for Sustainability while pursuing his PhD at MIT and was awarded the Maseeh Award for excellence in teaching from MIT in 2009. He is the author of the textbook “Environmental Sanitation, Wastewater Treatment and Disposal” published by the University Grants Commission. He is involved with the Department of Environment for drafting the “National Action Plan for Short-lived Climate Pollutants” and “Minamata Initial Assessment Report and Developing the National Mercury Profile”. He has been part of a World Bank expert team for conducting the ‘Bangladesh Country Environmental Analysis’.
- Ph.D., 2011 Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- M.Sc,. 2005 Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
- B.Sc., 2003 Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET)
Environmental contaminant fate and transport, health risk assessment, waste stabilization and recycling, environmental impact assessment, rainwater harvesting
- [No info available]
Professional Work at National and International Levels
Since 2015, he is working as a Short-Term Consultant for the Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice team of the World Bank and providing environmental safeguard support to the World Bank-financed projects in Bangladesh including – Dhaka Sanitation Improvement Project (DWASA), Ghorashal Unit-4 Re-powering project (BPDB), Financial Support Services Project (Bangladesh Bank), Investment Promotion Financing Facility (Bangladesh Bank), Health Sector Services Project (DGHS),Dhaka Sanitation Improvement Project (DWASA), College Education Development Project (National University), Higher Education Quality Assurance Project (University Grants Commission), Primary Education Development Project III (DPE), Secondary Education Development Project (DSHE), Rural Bridges Program (LGED) and so on. Since 2011, he has been working as a consultant for the Bureau of Research, testing and Consultation (BRTC), BUET and have been providing expert services in particular carrying out environmental and social assessments of a number of major projects of the country, including power plants, industries, townships, etc. for Government agencies and private entities. He has worked in the following projects related to ESIA:
- World Bank financed 335 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant in Siddhirganj, Narayanganj (Client: EGCB Ltd., World Bank)
- environmental baseline studies for the establishment of the 1000 MW nuclear power plant in Rooppur, Pabna (Client: Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission)
- Environmental Management Framework (EMF) for Municipalities Governance and Services Project (MGSP) (Client: LGED, World Bank)
- Environmental and Social Management Framework (EMF) for Rural Electricity Transmission and Distribution Project (RETDP) (Client: PGCB-REB, World Bank)
- Saidabad phase III Water Treatment Plant Project (Client: Institute of Water Modelling)
- The construction of 40-storied CPA tower (Client: Chittagong Port Authority)
- ESIA and ESMF of Fiber@Home Nationwide Optic Fiber Project.
- Rajshahi WASA Water Treatment Plant (Client: Institute of Water Modelling and RWASA)
- 55 MW HFO-fired Power plant in Manikganj (Client: Dhaka Northern Power Generation Ltd)
- 400MW Combined Cycle Power Plant in Bibiyana (Client: Bangladesh Power Development Board)
- United Group 300 MW HFO-fired Power plant in Anowara, Chittagong (Client: United Anowara Power Limited)
- Chowdhury, Z.U.M., Ahmed, T., Antunes, A.P.M. and Paul, H.L. (2018) Environmental Life Cycle Assessment of Leather Processing Industry: A Case Study of Bangladesh. SLTC Journal, 102: 18-26
- Rahman, M.A., Ahmed, T., Salehin, I.N. and Hossain, M.D. (2017) Color removal from textile wastewater using date seed activated carbon. Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 52(2):31-42.
- Juel, M.A.I., Al-Mizan and Ahmed, T. (2017) Sustainable use of tannery sludge in brick manufacturing in Bangladesh, Waste Management, 60:259-269.
- Haq, R., Mirza, N. and Ahmed, T. (2016) Study of noise hazard in bus interior in Dhaka city. Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB), 44(1): 29-40
- Ahmed, T., Rashid, K.N. and Hossain, M.I. (2016) Nutrient minerals in commercially available bottled waters in Bangladesh: dietary implications. Bangladesh Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, 51(2):111-120.
- Islam, M.M., Afrin, S., Ahmed, T., Ali, M.A. (2015) Meteorological and seasonal influences in ambient air quality parameters of Dhaka city. Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB), 43(1):67-77
- Ahmed, M.F. and Ahmed, T. (2014) Environmental Impact Assessment of Jamuna Multipurpose Bridge Project. Stamford Journal of Civil Engineering (SJCE), 4(2):1-12.
- Hossain, M.I., Rashid, K.N. and Ahmed, T. (2013) Assessment of Occupational Noise Hazard in Roadways and Traffic Intersections in Dhaka City. Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB), 41 (2): 111-122
- Lazova, M., Ahmed, T., Bellomo, D., Stocker, R. and Shimizu, T. (2011) Response rescaling in bacterial chemotaxis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. 108(33): 13870-13875.
- Guiffre, C., Hinow, P., Vogel, R. Ahmed, T., Stocker, R. Consi, TR., Strickler, JR. (2011) The ciliate Paramecium shows higher motility in non-uniform chemical landscapes. PloS One 6(4): e15274
- Ahmed, T., Shimizu, T. and Stocker, R. (2010) Microfluidics for bacterial chemotaxis. Integrative Biology, 2:604-629.
- Seymour, JR., Simo, R., Ahmed, T. and Stocker, R. (2010) Chemoattraction to dimethylsulfoniopropionate throughout the marine microbial food web. Science, 329: 342-345
- Ahmed, T., Shimizu, T. and Stocker, R. (2010) Bacterial chemotaxis in steady linear and nonlinear microfluidic gradients. Nano Letters, 10: 3379-3385
- Seymour, JR., Ahmed, T., Durham, W. and Stocker, R. (2010) Chemotactic response of marine bacteria to the extracellular products of Synechococcus and Prochlorococcus. Aquatic Microbial Ecology, 59: 161-168.
- 15. Seymour, JR., Ahmed, T. and Stocker, R. (2009) Bacterial chemotaxis towards the extracellular products of the toxic phytoplankton Heterosigma akashiwo. Journal of Plankton Research, 31(12):1557-1561
- Ahmed, T. and Stocker, R. (2008) Experimental verification of the behavioral foundation of bacterial transport parameters using microfluidics. Biophysical Journal, 95:4481-4493.
- Seymour, JR. Ahmed, T. Marcos and Stocker, R. (2008) A microfluidic chemotaxis assay to study microbial behavior in diffusing nutrient patches. Limnology and Oceanography: Methods, 6:477-488.
- Ahmed, T. and Badruzzaman, ABM. (2007) Effect of Thermal Effluent on Water Quality of Sitalakhya River. IEB Journal of Civil Engineering. 75(1): 70-79.
- Ahmed, T., Ali, M.A., Al-Muyeed, A. and Islam, T. (2016) Prospects, Principles and Practice of Urban Rainwater Harvesting in Bangladesh: A Guidebook for Professionals, Practitioners and Students. WaterAid Bangladesh. (ISBN: 978-984-34-0654-5)
- Chakravarty, I. and Ahmed, T. (2016) (Authors) A Synthesis Report of Bangladesh and India – Exploring Impacts of Drinking Water and Sanitation on Health, Nutrition and Socio-economic Status of Communities, Ecosystems for Life: A Bangladesh-India Initiative, IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, 64 pp.
- Ahmed, M. F., Tanveer, S. A. and Ahmed, T. (Editors) Urbanization, Traffic Jam and Bangladesh Environment. Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA) and Bangladesh Environment Network (BEN), July 2012. (ISBN: 978-984-33-5373-3)
- Saeed T.F, Al-Muyeed, A. and Ahmed T. (Authors) Environmental Sanitation, Wastewater Treatment and Disposal, University Grants Commission of Bangladesh, November 2013. (ISBN: 978-984-8920-16-9)
- Ahmed, M. F., Khalequzzaman, M. and Ahmed, T. (Editors) Water Resources in South Asia: Conflict to Cooperation. Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA) and Bangladesh Environment Network (BEN), July 2012. (ISBN: 978-984-33-6234-6)
Conference Proceedings and articles in books
- Islam, N., Saroar, G.M. and Ahmed, T. (2018) Meteorological Influences on Atmospheric Particles in Darus Salam Area Of Dhaka City. Proceedings of the 4thInternational Conference on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICCESD 2018), 9-11 February 2018, KUET, Khulna, Bangladesh
- Mirza, N., Tarannum, T. and Ahmed, T. (2017) Contribution of Drinking Water to Dietary Intakes of Nutrient Minerals in Bangladesh. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2017, May 21–25, 2017, Sacramento, California.
- Tarannum, T., Mirza, N., and Ahmed, T. (2017) Arsenic Removal Potential Using Naturally Occurring Iron in Groundwater: A Geo-Spatial Assessment of Household Potable Drinking Water in Bangladesh. World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2017, May 21–25, 2017, Sacramento, California.
- Juel, M.A.I., Al-Mizan and Ahmed, T. (2017) Environmental and Technical Aspects of Recyling Of Tannery Sludge in Brick Production. Proceedings of the WasteSafe 2017 – 5th International Conference on Solid Waste Management in South Asian Countries, 25-27 February 2017, Khulna, Bangladesh
- Ahmed, T. and Ferdausi, S.A. (2016) Evaluation of the EIA System in Bangladesh, IAIA16 Conference Proceedings, 36th Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment, 11 – 14 May 2016, Nagoya, Japan.
- Ahmed, T. and Chowdhury, Z. M. (2016) Environmental burden of tanneries in Bangladesh, IAIA16 Conference Proceedings, 36th Annual Conference of the International Association for Impact Assessment, 11 – 14 May 2016, Nagoya, Japan.
- Islam, M.A., Chowdhury, Z. M. and Ahmed, T. (2016) Heavy metal speciation and toxicity characteristics of tannery sludge. International Conference on Mechanical Engineering: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering (ICME 2015), AIP Conference Proceedings 1754, 060009-1 – 060009-6
- Ahmed, F. and Ahmed, T. (2014) Status of Remediation of Arsenic Contamination of Groundwater in Bangladesh. In: Comprehensive Water Quality and Purification, Satinder Ahuja (Editor), Elsevier, MA, USA
- Nusrat, F. and Ahmed, T. (2013) Effect of Climate Change on Storage Tank Design of Rainwater Harvesting Systems in Bangladesh. Proceedings of the International Conference on Climate Change Impact and Adaptation, 14-16 Nov, 2013, DUET-Gazipur, Bangladesh
- Ahmed, T. and Badruzzaman, A.B.M. (2013) Effect of Thermal Effluents from Power Plants in the Sitalakhya River. Proceedings of the 4the International Conference on Water and Flood Management, 9-11 March, 2013, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Ahmed M. F., Ahmed, T. and Majed, N. (2012) Zero Discharge ETP for Textile Dyeing Industry: An Advanced Option for Environmental Sustainability. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Environmental Technology and Construction Engineering for Sustainable Development, Sylhet, 10-12 March: 1-14
- Hoque, A., Ali, M. A. and Ahmed, T. (2005). Estimation of Non-vehicular Air Pollution in Dhaka City. Proceedings of the Third Annual Paper Meet and International conference in Civil Engineering, 9-11 March 2005, Dhaka, pp. 159-168 (ISBN 984-32-2142-4)
- Ahmed, T. (2004). Combating Poverty in the 21st Century: Challenges in the Water Supply and Sanitation Sector. Role of Engineers in Poverty Reduction, Proceedings of the National Seminar, 48th IEB Annual Convention, January, 2004, Dhaka, pp. 62-67.
- Ahmed, T. (2003). Assessment of Non-carcinogenic Arsenic Risk in Rural Bangladesh. In: Arsenic Contamination: Bangladesh Perspective, Editor M. F. Ahmed, June, 2003, ITN-Bangladesh Centre for Water Supply and Waste Management, pp. 324-339.